RESPECT – A Cross Council Awakening was a project aimed at re-energising the Australia Council staff's commitment to our Reconciliation Action Plan and the ongoing reconciliation process.
RESPECT was a three-fold project:
- a ground floor exhibition – a multi-artform exhibition in the ground floor space from 27 May – 01 September 2010. The exhibition displayed works supported by council between 2007 – 2009 that demonstrated the values of respect and collaboration between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians
- public programs –11 activities and events were programmed throughout 2010 to provide staff with an opportunity to meet artists and to learn about Indigenous culture from different regions of Australia
- the Reconciliation Action Plan – the rewriting of the Australia Council’s Reconciliation Action Plan
The key objectives of the RESPECT project were:
- to create a high quality ground floor exhibition and public programs event at the Australia Council opening on 27 May 2010
- to reignite interest in the Australia Council’s commitment to reconciliation
- to provide staff at the Australia Council with a safe environment for intercultural exchange and to explore the meaning of respect.
Photos by Sharon Hickey.