Request for Expressions of Interest for a Strategic Review of the Opera Conference
The Australia Council invites expressions of interest from potential suppliers for a strategic review of The Opera Conference.
Sixteen years after the formation of the Opera Conference, the Major Performing Arts Board of the Australia Council, on behalf of the Australian, Western Australian, Victorian, New South Wales and Queensland Governments, will conduct a strategic review of the operations of the Conference. The Council is now seeking Expressions of Interest for a contractor to undertake this review.
Below is an overview of the information related to the Request for Expressions of Interest. Please ensure you read and comply with all requirements in the full Request for Expressions of Interest Reference document.
The review will begin in September 2011 and be finished no later than 30 November 2011.
A report, with recommendations where appropriate, that is informed by consultation with the governments listed at 1.1 in the Expressions of Interest Reference document and with representatives of Opera Conference member companies, Victorian Opera and other interested parties who might be deemed to be qualified to contribute to the review.
Services delivered as part of this review:
- Research; and
- Report writing.
Australia Council is looking to engage a contractor to:
- An assessment of the effectiveness of the current annual Opera Conference investment in productions, through an analysis of attendances at Opera Conference productions over the past 10 years, including a calculation of subsidy per seat for Opera Conference productions compared with non-Opera Conference productions mounted by each company; and other performance indicators that might be deemed to be useful in assessing the effectiveness of governments’ investment in the Opera Conference.
- An artistic assessment, informed by opera specialists, of the current repertoire mix of Opera Conference productions, and how that repertoire does or does not complement other repertoire presented by Conference companies. Assessment of whether it would be desirable for governments to define their expectations in terms of a balance of adventurous and popular repertoire.
- Assessment of the potential for Opera Conference productions to contribute to artform development and artistic vibrancy, particularly in relation to the commissioning of new works.
- A review of Opera Conference decision making procedures, including initial commissioning process and decision making, and subsequent checks and balances as Opera Conference productions are manufactured and staged.
- A review of Opera Conference membership, including an evaluation and recommended redefinition where required of current Opera Conference membership entry and exit procedures. The review will give consideration to possible entry of new members including Victorian Opera and NBR New Zealand Opera, and of the potential for involving regular or occasional partners such as arts festivals, arts centres and other MPA companies to leverage investments and expand audience reach.
- A review of current Opera Conference formal association documentation, including provisions for dispute resolution, including matters of artistic dispute; withdrawal of companies from membership and the financial implications/resolution associated with any such withdrawal; contracting of subsidy delivery from governments; and other procedural and governance matters that may arise in the course of the review.
- A review of the reach and effectiveness of OzOpera as the Opera Conference regional touring provider. Assessment of the scope of Opera Conference investment to strengthen regional access.
- An initial assessment of whether the review findings might point to more effective ways of delivering first class operatic performances nationally while maintaining the economic sustainability of the current opera producing and presenting network.
Details of the Expression of Interest can be found in the Request for Expressions of Interest document available here.
Please direct any inquiry regarding the Expression of Interest to:
- David Colville, Manajor Major Performing Arts Board - email email@example.com.