29 March 2011
New work by Australian Dance Theatre
Garry has spent the past ten years at Australian Dance Theatre developing a reputation as a choreographer who challenges expected representation of dance through his collaborations with leading artists in photography, robotics and video installations. For Be Your Self he has brought together an eclectic team including the highly influential New York architectural firm Diller, Scofidio + Renfro (DS+R).
Garry Stewart is celebrating his tenth year as the Artistic Director of Australia Dance Theatre.
Be Your Self brings an actor on stage with the dancers for the first time in Garry’s work.
The calibre of the collaborating artists has enabled the company to secure co-producing support from several European venues, including Grand ThÉÂtre de la Ville de Luxembourg, La Rose des Vents Villeneuve d’Ascq (France), Le Rive Gauche Centre Culturel de Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray (France) and Centro Cultural Vila Flor (Portugal).
European Premiere Season Performances:
- February 1: Annemasse, France
- February 4 & 5: Sevilla, Spain
- February 8: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- February 11 & 12: Luxembourg
- February 16 - 20: Paris, France
- February 22: Tilburg, The Netherlands
- Febraury 24: Groningen, The Netherlands
- March 1 & 2: Nottingham, UK
- March 5: Den Haag, The Netherlands
- March 10: Guimarães, Portugal
- March 15 & 16: Martigues, France
- March 19: Bregenz, Austria
- March 22 & 23: Annecy, France
Be Your Self premiered on February 20 as part of the 2010 Adelaide Festival of Arts. The season runs to February 28 at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Adelaide.
To see the behind the scenes development of the work visit www.adt.org.au
Image from Australian Dance Theatre’s production Be Yourself. Image courtesy of Chris Herzfeld (photography) and Australian Dance Theatre.