Dance and Music announcements
14 June 2012
Composer Oren Ambarchi and choreographer Lucy Guerin have received support through the Dance and Music initiative for their upcoming collaborative project Weather.
Weather will be a highly visual, aural and physical dance work that explores our relationship to the environment and larger forces beyond our control. It makes a connection between climate events, the human body and sound through the infinite kinetic and dynamic possibilities of each. Sound artist Oren Ambarchi and choreographer Lucy Guerin will work together to develop sound which is generated by the dancers through breath and directly linked to the movements they are creating. The force of certain actions will affect the volume, texture and dynamic of the sounds produced. The Dance and Music initiative funding will allow a creative development period to experiment with live sound being created by the dancers.
The initiative was the result of a partnership between the Australia Council’s Dance and Music Boards. The intention of the initiative is to encourage new relationships between choreographers, dancers, composers and/or musicians to work collaboratively to create and develop innovative, new dance/music work.
Other artists funded in this round include:
- composer Garth Paine and choreographers Brooke Stamp and Phillip Adams to create two new works for BalletLab
- a collaboration between composer Iain Grandage, songwriter Kutcha Edwards and Kage Physical Theatre to develop a new performance work called Team of Life
- a new collaboration between Danielle Micich and musicians Gillian Catlow and Charles Hoernemann for a new dance theatre work about the human compulsion to deceive
- My Disco to collaborate with dancers Cobie Orger, Martin Hansen and Natalie Abbott to create a new dance work that deconstructs a live rock concert
- the creative development of The Secret Noise, an innovative collaborative work between Ensemble Offspring and dancers Katherine Cogill, Katia Molino and Narelle Benjamin.
A full list of successful recipients can be found in the meeting assessment report here.
Title image: Weather
Photo by Mike Hollingshead