Visiting International Publishers Program (VIPS) 2015-2016 Project Fund
Expressions of interest have now closed
Amount: Up to $10,000
Notification: Mid-February 2017
About the opportunity
Expressions of Interest are invited for funding for projects arising from the Visiting International Publishers (VIPs) Program in 2015 and 2016.
This is an invitation only Expressions of Interest round. The Australia Council will only accept Expressions of Interest from Australian and international publishers, literary agents and scouts who attended VIPs in Sydney in 2015 and 2016.
The VIPs Project Fund provides further investment in the VIPs program, to support outcomes and business that arises from it. This fund supports the promotion of Australian literature and activities that foster greater awareness and appreciation of Australian creative writing.
Only a limited number of proposals will be able to be supported; you are also encouraged to consider funding options available through the Australia Council’s Grants Program. As this is strategic project funding, your proposal will not count towards your annual total allowable applications to the Australia Council’s Grants Program.
What can you apply for
Proposals must be for new projects or publications, or new stages of existing projects. You can apply for activities including:
- Participation of Australian writers at literary festivals and other promotional tours and activities. A program of activities by Australian writers rather than a single event is encouraged
- Publication/translation of the work of living, literary Australian writers (for rights licensed as a result of participating in the VIPs program). Applications for multiple titles must be included within the same application
- Attendance at book fairs/festivals/business meetings with international publishers
Activity can take place in Australia or overseas.
Allowable costs include:
- Artist fees (including writers and translators fees), per diems, travel and accommodation for Australian artists or arts workers
- Production/publication costs
- Marketing and promotion costs
What you can’t apply for
You can’t apply for:
- Projects or activities that do not involve or benefit practicing Australia artists or arts workers
- Projects or activities that do not have a clearly defined literary component
- Projects that have already taken place
- Projects that would take place without this funding
- Expressions of Interest will only be accepted from Australian and international publishers, literary agents and scouts who attended VIPs in Sydney 2015 and 2016.
- Applications from publishers for support for more than one title must be included within the same application.
- Publishers are not eligible to apply for assistance to fund the publication of their own written work.
- Activity must take place between 1 March 2017 and 30 June 2018.
- Attendance at academic conferences, book launches or individual author promotional tours are not eligible activities.
- Please check the general eligibility requirements on the Australia Council website.
Please contact us if you are unsure if you are eligible to apply.
In reviewing your Expression of Interest we will consider the following:
- Merit of the artists/arts workers/organisations
We may consider:
- literary/artistic merit or quality of work previously produced
- ability, skills and professionalism of the artists/arts workers/organisations
- public or peer response to work previously produced.
We may consider:
- the skills and artistic ability of the people involved and their relevance to the proposed activity
- realistic and achievable planning, resource use and evaluation
- the role of any partners involved, including confirmation of their involvement
We may consider:
- how the proposed activity strengthens the profile of Australian writers
- the relevance and timeliness of the proposed activity
- how the proposed activity enables you to discover and develop new markets, or meet existing market demand
We may seek industry advice on your Expression of Interest before making our decision.
You will be informed of the outcome of your Expression of Interest by mid-February 2017.
The following support material may be included with your Expression of Interest:
- A budget (using the budget template in the online grant system)
- Emails or letters of confirmation from your artistic collaborators and project partners, which may include invitations from festivals, fee confirmations, confirmation from writers, editors or translators. All letters should be collated into one file
- A signed contract between the international publisher and the Australian rights holder
- A copy of the proposed program of activities (which can be in draft form). Past programs may be submitted
- A CV of nominated translators, artists or artsworkers
- A copy of a recent catalogue of titles available for sale
How to submit an Expression of Interest
Click on the ‘Submit an EOI’ button at the bottom of this page. Expressions of Interest must be submitted via the Australia Council’s online system. To apply in the online system, please click on ‘Grants & Grant Reporting’ and choose ‘Expressions of Interest (EOI)’.
Please note, international applicants do not need to provide an ABN (Australian Business Number). To progress past this question in the online system, please enter 11 x zeros.
Note, this is an Expression of Interest and not a grant application. It does not count as an application to the Australia Council Grants Program.
To discuss your Expression of Interest, please contact Karen Le Roy, Project Officer, International Projects on 02 9215 9054 or email@example.com.