Future Leaders Program
The Future Leaders Program is designed to assist in the development of emerging, high potential arts leaders from across all artforms and backgrounds. During a thought provoking six month journey, participants enhance their own understanding of leadership and engage in a powerful, shared learning experience.
Emerging leaders require foundational skills and knowledge to progress their careers. Learning from the experiences of established leaders across artforms provides vital insight and relevant learning. Following the Program, participants will have the option to undertake a secondment that extends their professional scope.
Who is the Program for?
The Future Leaders Program is for emerging arts leaders who want to increase their foundational leadership knowledge, gain exposure to key role models and develop partnerships with peers for long-term networking and support. Participants are typically in their first decade of their career and will be selected based on their senior leadership potential.
The Future Leaders Program will run over a 6 month period followed by an optional secondment of 3 months. The program will next run in 2018 and includes:
- Two intensive residentials.
- Invitations to ‘deep-dive’ workshops throughout the program including topics such Governance.
- Access to the Australia Council Leadership Mentoring when it suits you.
- An optional secondment with a carefully selected organisations for up to 3 months.
Participants in the program will have:
- Improved understanding of self and leadership.
- Enhanced confidence.
- Strong networks and relationships across the sector and across the country.
- Greater ability to solve complex problems.
- Capability to think and work more strategically.
The program schedule will be announced in late 2017; the first residential
will take place in
the first part of 2018.
Program fee: $600+GST includes residential accommodation, catering and program resources.
Scholarships and fee discounts:No applicant is discouraged from applying due to their financial situation. Applicants are able to apply to be considered for a fee discount. Selected scholarships may also be available.
Travel:Participants are expected to pay their travel expenses, if required. Travel assistance is available for individuals from remote areas and from Western Australia travelling to the east coast. Please contact us for more information.
Leaders will be selected using the following criteria:
- Readiness – The individual can demonstrate how the program will benefit their leadership development and dedicate the necessary time to fully participate in the program.
- Collaborative learner – Ability to learn in a group and to collectively work on solving problems; the individual will have demonstrated willingness to share their own resources and skills with the group.
- Level of commitment and engagement – The individual demonstrates a passion and commitment to the cultural sector; demonstrates an openness to new ideas and an approachable style.
- Leadership potential – The individual displays behaviours which indicate they have potential to grow in their leadership. These behaviours may include strategic thinking skills; leadership promise; commitment to personal development; self-mastery and integrity.
Expression of Interest
Entry to the program is competitive. For each intake, a balanced mix of backgrounds, artforms, occupations, experience and gender will be selected by the panel. Applications will be assessed by the selection panel and short listed applicants may be contacted for an interview. All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application once the selection process has been completed.
Expression of Interests for the 2016 intake have now closed and will open in late 2017 for the 2018 intake.
How to Apply
Note this is an Expression of Interest and not a grant application.
You must submit either a short CV (1-2 pages) or your LinkedIn profile. You will be required to submit a URL for either of these. Your resume should be uploaded online and an URL provided as support material. To find out how to get your CV online click here.
Please do not provide any other material such as references or support letters.
Industry advisors will rate Expressions of Interest according to the selection criteria above and give advice and feedback to Australia Council staff. Shortlisted candidates may be invited to attend an interview prior to the Australia Council selecting the final group.
Arts Leaders Program