Location: Berlin, Germany
Artform: Visual Arts
Length of residency: 12 months
Dates: 1 July 2018 – 15 June 2019
Grant amount: $35,000
Closing date: 3 October 2017
About Künstlerhaus Bethanien
The Künstlerhaus Bethanien is an international cultural centre in Berlin, dedicated to the advancement of contemporary visual arts. The Künstlerhaus encourages critical reflection on subjects related to contemporary art and culture through publications such as BE Magazine, an annual journal for art and criticism. Through their artist-in-residence program for professional artists, it aims to establish a lively dialogue between artists from various backgrounds and disciplines, and the public at large.
As a result of the diverse mix of artists who reside at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien, the atmosphere is socially and professionally stimulating. Dialogue between artists is encouraged, and many artists have provided feedback on the value of informal sharing of knowledge and ideas amongst residents to the development of their practice.
The Künstlerhaus offers a wide range of services to resident artists, including:
- Curatorial support in the implementation of artists’ projects;
- Workshops, technical infrastructure and qualified personnel;
- Presentation of projects produced at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien;
- Promotion of events organised by resident artists;
- Organising a minimum of two annual Open Studio events for resident artists;
- Inviting artists to take part in larger projects, such as exhibitions at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien and other venues;
- Editing and distributing publications related to projects presented at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien;
- Establishing contacts with international curators, critics, publicists, theorists, gallery owners and collectors through individual studio visits;
- Hosting seminars, talks and readings.
Accommodation and workspace
The Künstlerhaus Bethanien is located in the lively neighbourhood connecting the Kreuzberg and Neukölln districts, approximately two kilometres from Alexanderplatz. There is a vibrant local gallery scene, providing access to the work of contemporary Berlin artists.
The studio is 75 sqm and is one of 25 in this large, well-established centre. It is equipped with modest facilities, including cooking appliances and central heating, with shared bathroom facilities on the same floor. Located on the third floor, the studio has good natural light, with large windows along one wall.
The accommodation is suitable for a couple, but not for a family. As the studio is primarily a workspace, the Künstlerhaus Bethanien does not permit residents’ partners to stay for the full duration of the residency. Artists will need to make arrangements with the Künstlerhaus Bethanien prior to receiving guests.
Access and Inclusion
The Künstlerhaus Bethanien is committed to making its exhibitions and residency spaces accessible to all visitors via wheelchair-accessible areas, communications in braille and large-print formats, and guided tours on request. Additional access requirements during a residency may be accommodated. Please contact Amber McCulloch, Project Officer Residencies, on 02 9215 9336 or email@example.com to discuss your specific needs.
- Lyndal Walker
- Brook Andrew
Image credit: Georg Schroeder