The Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship & Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship
The Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet and Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarships were established by a Deed of Lady Mollie Askin to further culture and advance education in Australia by providing travelling scholarships for Australian citizens with outstanding ability and promise in Ballet & Opera.
2018 Recipients are:
Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship – Lania Atkins
Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship – Paull-Anthony Keightley
A selection of past recipients of the Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship and Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship include:
Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship – Isobelle Dashwood, James Lyttle, Vanessa Morelli, Cristiano Martino, Jessica Fyfe, Paul Knobloch
Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship – Andrew Goodwin, Luke Stoker, Morgan Pearse, Alexander Lewis, Derek Welton, David Hansen
One round is offered every two years for these scholarships. The next round will be offered in 2020, with applications expected to open in late 2019.
Please note: Perpetual will only accept a limited number of scholarship proposals annually. Once this limit is met, no further proposals can be submitted.
Who can apply
Applications for the Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship are open to individual artists who are Australian citizens aged 17 – 29 at the closing date.
Applications for the Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship are open to individual artists who identify as male and are Australian citizens aged 18 – 29 at the closing date.
These are terms established by the Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship Trust and the Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship Trust, and there are no exceptions to these requirements. If you are an Australian citizen but will have difficulty providing a copy of a birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate, please contact a grants officer to discuss your situation.
Who can’t apply
· You can’t apply for a scholarship if:
· you received a grant, or administered a grant, from the Australia Council in the past and that grant has not been satisfactorily acquitted
· you owe money to the Australia Council
· you were previously awarded a Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship or Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship
What you can apply for
The scholarships are awarded biennially to candidates who have outstanding ability and promise in Ballet or Opera.
Scholarship funds can be used to assist with study programs, professional training courses and/or mentor programs that would not otherwise be obtainable due to lack of financial resources.
The scholarship’s value
Scholarships are each worth $30,000, payable in two installments of $15,000 over two years.
Scholarship proposals will be assessed by the Australia Council. A list of recommended scholarship recipients is forwarded to Perpetual who will make the final approval decision.
The decision of Perpetual is final and no feedback on proposals or further correspondence on decisions will be provided.
Scholarship proposal form
The Australia Council will only accept scholarship proposal forms online. If you have trouble accessing our online system please call a grants officer for further advice.
The type of questions we ask you to complete in your online proposal include:
· your name and contact details
· your gender
· agreement with terms and conditions of the scholarship
· certification that you are an Australian citizen
· about your practice:
· your artistic discipline
· your resume
· the proposed aim of your scholarship (names of teachers/institutions, travel plans, dates, etc.)
· supporting material as relevant to your proposal
Additional material can be submitted to help support your proposal. You can submit up to two URLs (web links). These URLs should be directlinks to material that can include video, audio, images, and writing.
For the Lady Mollie Isabelle Askin Ballet Scholarship, please provide:
· direct link URL to a 5 min (maximum) video recording of class/studio work (must include adagio, turning and allegro examples)
· direct link URL to a 10 min (maximum) video recording of performance material (must include examples from the classical ballet repertoire and a contemporary ballet example)
For the Sir Robert William Askin Operatic Scholarship, please provide:
· direct link URL to video recording of performance (preferred) or to an audio file
To find out more about support material, including advice on how to get examples of your work online click here.
Our preferred method of receiving support material is via URLs. However, if you cannot supply artistic support material via a URL, we will accept artistic support material in the following formats:
· Video (MP4, QuickTime, and Windows Media)
· Audio (MP3 and Windows Media)
· Images (JPEG and PowerPoint)
· Written material (Word and PDF)
· Letters of support
Individuals, groups or organisations can provide written references or write letters in support of your project. A support letter should explain how the proposed scholarship will benefit the artist. You can include up to three letters of support, with each letter not exceeding one A4 page.