International Arts Strategy Outcomes Fund
Due to current government travel restrictions, the following international investment opportunities will not be available in 2021:
Artists and organisations seeking funding for viable international engagement can apply to the Arts Projects grant categories.
Please note that applications for international engagement that include physical mobility are unlikely to be considered as competitive until the Australian Government’s travel ban is lifted. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to adapt your international engagement to the digital space for the foreseeable future.
Applicants should ensure duty of care, health and wellbeing, risk mitigation, and adapting to ongoing travel restrictions and physical distancing measures are all considered.
The Australia Council’s strategic International Development Opportunities in 2021 will focus on online engagement.
Amount: $5,000 - $30,000
Notification: You will be notified of the result of your application within 4 weeks of the closing date.
About the opportunity
The International Arts Strategy Outcomes Fund supports opportunities that directly arise from strategic initiatives delivered by the Australia Council in the target international regions under the International Arts Strategy: Europe, North America, North Asia, South and South East Asia. The Fund also supports opportunities that arise from the International Leadership Program (Indo-Pacific) that have received seed funding through the Leadership Program Alumni Collaborations Fund. The fund prioritises outcomes that directly involve and benefit Australian artists, for example tours, presentations, exhibitions and translations of Australian work.
Please contact us to discuss the eligibility of your application in relation to our international strategic initiatives.
Invitations brokered by the Council’s International Development Consultants are also eligible.
Click here to view full list of eligible initiatives.
- Literature, Community Arts and Cultural Development
- Performing Arts (Dance, Theatre, Emerging and Experimental Arts, Music) and Community Arts and Cultural Development
- Visual Arts, Community Arts and Cultural Development
You cannot apply for:
- activity that is not a direct outcome from one of the Council’s international strategic initiatives delivered under our International Arts Strategy
- outcomes arising from participation in international strategic initiatives that pre-date 1 January 2017
- professional development, for example artists’ practice or market-based research
- further market development, for example attendance at arts markets and fairs
- activity that takes place outside of the Council’s target international regions under the International Arts Strategy: Europe, North America, North Asia, South and South East Asia
- activity that has already been funded through the Council’s Grants Program
- any activity that does not meet the Council’s general eligibility requirements.
For all other international activity, please refer to the Grants Program for funding.
Applicants are required to respond to the following selection criteria:
- Impact: How will this project help develop an international market for your work? How will it enhance your international networks and profile?
- Partnerships: Who are the international partners you are working with? How are they supporting this project? We will consider the commitment of the partners to pay a reasonable fee and/or to support the project through cash or in-kind support.
- Timeliness: Why is this a timely opportunity for your work? Please provide details on your ability to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Connection to the Australia Council’s International Arts Strategy: How did this opportunity come about, and what is the connection between this project and the Australia Council’s International Arts Strategy?
The following support material must be submitted with your proposal:
- Copies of any confirmations from international partners, including fee confirmation, collated into one file
- A URL link to relevant partner websites
Your application will be reviewed by Australia Council staff. We may seek industry advice on your proposal before making our decision.
In considering your application we will take into account Council’s strategic goals, international strategy and specific international strategic activity.
Diversity and Access
The Australia Council encourages applications from applicants who identify as First Nations, from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with disability, and people living in regional and remote areas.
The Australia Council’s programs and processes are designed for accessibility and best use by a diverse demographic. We work with individual applicants to find the best approach to accommodating access, childcare, carer and other support needs. Please contact us at least 2 weeks prior to the closing date to discuss your access and support requirements.
Changes to payments
The way Australia Council payments are made has changed. Effective immediately, payment recipients will no longer send an invoice for payment. Instead, after you accept our offer of funding we will make payment to your nominated bank account and send you a Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI).
Important information for administered funding
If you plan to have your funding administered by a third party, applicants will now need to ensure that the administrator is registered on the Australia Council online system before you begin your application. This means you cannot complete or submit an application if your administrator is not registered.
Registering for the first time?
Please click on the "Apply now" button below, and then click on the "Create an Account" button to register for access to our Application Management System (AMS).
If your registration is approved, you will receive an Australia Council email containing your login information. This will give you access to our AMS.
Make sure you register well before the closing date. It can take up to two business days to process your registration.
Contact us at if you are unsure if you should register as an individual or on behalf of an organisation.
Please make sure you have entered accurate registration information (e.g. legal name, email address), as you will not be able to edit these details after submission.
How to submit an application
Click on the ‘Apply now' button below. Applications must be submitted via the Australia Council’s online system.
Note, applications to International Development funding opportunities do not count as an application to the Australia Council Grants Program.Download the RTF version of these guidelines.
To discuss your application, please contact our International Market Adviser for the region of your activity:
Europe: Ellen Dwyer, +61 02 9215 9051 or email@example.com
North America: Karen Le Roy, +61 2 9215 9054 or firstname.lastname@example.org
North Asia: Joanna Bayndrian, +61 2 9215 9152 or email@example.com
South and Southeast Asia: Nithya Nagarajan, +61 2 9215 9324 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Re-imagine: What next?