National Arts and Disability Awards 2019-21
Nominations close: Tuesday 7 September 2021 (3pm AEST)
The new 3pm AEST closing time falls within business hours. This allows Artists Services staff to troubleshoot any issues and support applicants as the deadline approaches.
The National Arts and Disability Award (Established Artist): $50,000
The National Arts and Disability Award (Young Artist): $20,000
The National Arts and Disability Award (Established Artist) celebrates the achievements of an Australian artist:
- whose outstanding and sustained contribution to their chosen field/s of arts practice has been recognised nationally and/or internationally.
The recipient of this award will receive $50,000.
The National Arts and Disability Award (Young Artist) recognises a young Australian artist demonstrating outstanding leadership, who:
- is 35 years of age or under (at the time of nomination)
- has made an outstanding contribution to their chosen field/s of practice.
The recipient of this award will receive $20,000.
About the Awards
The Australia Council National Arts and Disability Awards 2019-21 celebrate the work and achievements of both established and young artists, and the significant contribution of artists with disability to the vibrancy of Australian arts.
The Council’s research has highlighted the importance of profiling, celebrating and acknowledging the achievements of trail blazers and leading lights at all stages of career development. These prestigious national awards are one of the ways we do so.
The awards recognise outstanding and sustained contributions by Australian artists in all areas of practice – music, literature, community arts and cultural development (CACD), emerging and experimental arts (EEA), visual arts, theatre, dance or a combination of any of these areas.
We welcome nominations that demonstrate the rich intersectionality across diversity areas which Australia’s arts and disability sector is known for.
The awards selection is informed by a panel of key industry advisors, and approved by the Board of the Australia Council.
If you have any questions about how to nominate, please contact Artists Services.
- complete the nomination form
- provide a CV for the nominee (max of 2 x A4 pages)
- provide a maximum of two letters of support for the nomination.
All nominations must be made by third parties.
Other important information:
- past recipients of the Australia Council Awards or National Indigenous Arts Awards are eligible to be nominated for the National Arts and Disability Awards
- If you require a more accessible format for your nomination, or for accompanying materials, contact Artists Services at least four weeks before the closing date.
How to submit a nomination:
To nominate log in here to our Application Management System (AMS). You must create an account if you do not already have one.
- Select 'Submit a Nomination' from the left panel menu.
- Under 'Awards' select 'Start a new award nomination'.
- Ensure you select the correct award from the list of options.
- Complete the fields and select answers using the dropdown menus.
- Upload any necessary support material.
- Select ‘Save’ once complete.
- If you are not ready to submit your nomination you can return to it through 'Your Draft Applications' in the left panel menulater..
- When you are ready to submit your nomination, select ‘Submit’
Download the accessible RTF version of this page.
If you need advice about applying, contact an Artists Services Officer now.
Learn more about the recipients of the National Arts and Disability Awards 2020.