Rights Fund for Literature
Australia Council Response Package
The Australia Council is announcing its first Response Package to support artists, arts practitioners, arts groups and arts organisations coping with the impact of COVID-19.
With immediate effect, we have suspended many of our investment programs currently or due to open. Suspending programs will allow Council to concentrate our efforts on responding to the crisis situation faced by our artists and arts organisations.
If you have submitted an application we will be in touch in the coming days.
Amount: Contributions of $5,000 per successful applicant will be available in two rounds per year.
About the Program
Support is available for literary agents, rights managers and publishers to attend international markets such as book fairs to sell rights in Australian works.Read our FAQ's
Who may apply:
- Literary agents, rights managers and publishers representing Australian authors
- individuals or collectives representing a range of Australian literary titles
What you can apply for:
Support is available for the promotion of Australian works of creative writing such as fiction, poetry, writing for children and young people, graphic novels, and narrative non-fiction (defined as autobiography, biography, essays, histories, literary criticism or analytical prose).
Applications will be assessed against the following selection criteria:
- quality of the works, including the writers involved
- evidence of the individual or organisation’s thorough planning and ability to carry out the proposal to a high standard
- individual’s demonstrated experience selling rights
Applications will be assessed by Australia Council staff.
The following support material is required:
- an indicative itinerary or sample meeting schedule
- a list of titles in which rights are held
- biographies of key personnel
- previous rights guides or catalogues
Download RTF version of these guidelines.
To discuss your application, please contact:
Wenona Byrne, Arts Practice Director - Literature, +61292159031, W.Byrne@australiacouncil.gov.au
Joanne Simpson, Grants Officer, +61292159057, J.Simpson@australiacouncil.gov.au