Translation Fund for Literature
Applications are now closed
Applications close: Tuesday 13 April 2021 3.00 pm AEDT
Amount: Contributions of $5,000 per successful applicant are available in two rounds per year.
About the program
International publishers may apply for a contribution towards the translation of Australian works by living authors of creative writing such as fiction, poetry, writing for children and young people, graphic novels, and narrative non-fiction (defined as autobiography, biography, essays, histories, literary criticism or analytical prose). The majority of funding must be used to pay the rights holder and translator.
Australian publishers may also apply to support Australian translators producing foreign language works for local publication.
Who may apply:
- International publishers may apply for a contribution towards the translation of Australian works of creative writing.
- Australian publishers may apply to support the translation of foreign language works provided they are using Australian translators.
- Only one application per publisher or imprint will be considered.
- Evidence of rights held in the work.
Applications must demonstrate:
- quality of the work
- track record of the translator
- publisher’s ability to market and promote the translated work.
Applications will be assessed by Australia Council staff.
Applicants must include evidence of their acquisition of translation rights in the work and information about how the authors will be paid. You will need to please:
- Provide a short description of the title (up to 200 words) and some brief biographical details about the author.
- Explain why you consider that this work or author is right for your list
- Attach the translator’s CV listing their relevant experience.
- Attach a copy of the signed rights agreement.
- Describe your publishing house.
- Indicate the language of the proposed edition.
- Show how many copies of the book will be printed (minimum print run of 500 copies).
- Give details of the retail price of the book.
- Set out of the amount the author/rights holder will be paid.
- Show how and where will the book be distributed and promoted.
- Attach a copy of the rights agreement.
- For foreign publishers, indicate whether you have published any other Australian authors.
- For Australian publishers: indicate whether you have published any other translated works, listing any comparable titles.
To discuss your application, please contact: