Travel, Rights and Translation Funds for Literature FAQ'sPerhaps you have a question? Click on one of the topics below to read some of the most frequently asked questions for the following programs:
- Rights Fund for Literature
- Translation Fund for Literature
- Travel Fund for Literature
Rights Fund for Literature FAQs
- Do the represented titles have to be new releases?
No, you can apply for support to represent backlist titles if they are appropriate for the market.
- I work for a medium sized organisation and am unsure who will be undertaking the travel. Can I provide their details later?
Yes, but it is important that you provide some information about the individuals who are likely to be involved and their experience selling rights. Include information for more than one employee if necessary.
- I don’t know exactly which titles I will be representing yet.
Please provide the titles you hope to represent, or titles you have represented in the past which indicate the quality and range of the works. Applications to support travel to sell rights in only one or two titles will be unlikely to be competitive.
- My meeting schedule isn’t confirmed yet
Please provide an indicative meeting schedule based on your research or previous rights trips.
Translation Fund for Literature FAQs
- Can I apply for funding to translate a deceased author?
The aim of this fund is to support the work of living Australian authors. If you are applying to translate an author who is deceased, please provide details about your rationale including the timeliness of the publication of the work.
- Can I apply for funding to translate a series of works?
Yes, provided you provide copies of rights agreements for all titles in the series. Funding support for more than one title must be included in the same application, and must not exceed $5000 in total.
- I’m a translator, can I apply for funds to translate a work?
Yes, however you will need to provide a copy of the rights agreement and details of how the work will be published and distributed if there is no publisher in place. Applications from translators who don’t have a publisher in place can be submitted to Arts Projects for Individuals and Groups.
Travel Fund FAQs
- Can I apply to attend one event?
Applications should be for a suite of activities rather than a single event. Applications which include a program of activities rather than a single event will be more competitive.
- Does the international publisher or organisation need to provide a letter of support?
Yes. It would also be advisable for the international publisher or organisation to outline their financial contribution or other support.
- Do I need a letter of invitation from an international organisation or publisher to apply?
- Can I apply to attend academic conferences?
No. This fund exists to support activities associated with international trade publication.
- I don’t yet have an international publisher or distributor. Can I apply?
The purpose of the fund is to enable an author to travel to support the international publication of their work. A strong proposal will have either an international publisher in place, or will clearly demonstrate that the travel will assist in securing one. A proposal may also demonstrate that the activity will increase international attention and demand for writing by unique Australian voices such as works by Australian First Nations writers.