The Dreaming Award
Applications are now closed
Closing date: 4 November 2019 (AEDT 11:59PM)
The Australia Council for the Arts 2020 Young and Emerging Dreaming Award is now open for applications.
About the Dreaming Award
The Dreaming Award was established in 2012 to support an inspirational young artist aged 18-30 years to create a major body of work through mentoring and partnerships. The mentor/partner will be another established professional artist or partner nominated by the artist who will guide and mentor the applicant to assist in the development of work.
- Open to First Nations Australian artists living here or overseas
- Age open to 18-30
- All artforms
You will need the following detail included in your application:
- a brief summary of the project (100 characters or less)
- a detailed description (8000 characters or less) explaining:
- what you plan to do
- how you plan to do it
- its aims and expected outcomes
- Why is this opportunity important as a young Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander artist?
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts Strategy Panel will assess the application based on the following assessment criteria:
- the strength of the project concept
- the artistic merit of the concept
- the cultural integrity of the project
- professional development benefits for the applicant and the art form involved
- experience of the artists and/or arts workers involved, with skills appropriate to the project.
Required support material:
- a current CV
- letters of support
- artistic support material
- name and CV of your mentor (max 2 x A4 pages) this can include artistic support material and/or name and letter of confirmation of partner.
Other support material
You may also supply the names of other people and/or organisations’ who support you in your application.
Have any support material such as CV (no more than 2 pages), letters of support, mentor details, website URLs, videos, etc ready to enter/upload prior to commencing your nomination.
This award will be presented at the National Indigenous Arts Awards in May 2020.
About the Awards
The National Indigenous Arts Awards recognise and celebrate the outstanding work and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists. On the evening of the 27 May 2020, the following awards will be presented:
- the prestigious Red Ochre Awards for outstanding lifetime achievement
- the Dreaming Award for recognition of an emerging artist
- the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts Fellowship to support the creation of a major work by an artist.
How to apply
To apply log in here to our Application Management System (AMS) if you have an account. You can create an account if you do not already have one
- Select 'Apply for a Grant' from the left panel menu..
- From the list of opportunities select 'Apply’ for the Dreaming Award.
- Complete the fields and select answers with dropdown menus.
- Upload any necessary support material.
- Select ‘Save’ once complete.
- If you are not ready to submit your application, you can return to it through 'Your Draft Applications' in the left panel menu at a later date.
- Otherwise select ‘Submit’.
For any questions in relation to this award, please contact Jorjia Gillis, Project Manager, First Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts on (02) 9215 9040 or email@example.com
Learn more about the National Indigenous Arts Awards.