Translation Fund for Literature
Round 1: Applications are now closed for Round 1
- Applications open for the second round in February 2020
- Applications close: 28 April 2020 (11:59 AEST) for activity from 1 September 2020 – 31 December 2020
Amount: Contributions of $5,000 per successful applicant are available in two rounds per year.Apply now
About the program
International publishers may apply for a contribution towards the translation of Australian works of creative writing such as fiction, poetry, writing for children and young people, graphic novels, and narrative non-fiction (defined as autobiography, biography, essays, histories, literary criticism or analytical prose).
Funding is available to contribute to the translator’s fee and/or author’s advance only.
Australian publishers may also apply to support Australian translators producing foreign language works for local publication.Read our FAQ's
Who may apply:
- International publishers may apply for a contribution towards the translation of Australian works of creative writing.
- Australian publishers may apply to support the translation of foreign language works provided they are using Australian translators.
Selection CriteriaApplications must demonstrate:
- quality of the work
- track record of the translator
- publisher’s ability to market and promote the translated work
Applications will be assessed by Australia Council staff.
Applicants must include evidence of their acquisition of translation rights in the work and information about how the authors will be paid. Publishers will need to address the following questions in their applications:
- Provide a short description of the title (up to 200 words) and some brief biographical details about the author.
- Why do you feel this particular work or author is right for your list?
- Who is the editor/translator of the title? Please provide a biography listing their relevant experience.
- Describe your publishing house.
- What is the language of the proposed edition?
- How many copies of the book will be printed (minimum print run of 500 copies)?
- What is the retail price of the book?
- How much will the author/rights holder be paid?
- How and where will the book be distributed and promoted?
- For foreign publishers: have you published any other Australian authors? For Australian publishers: have you published any other translated works? List any comparable titles.
- Please attach a copy of the rights agreement.
Download RTF version of these guidelines.Apply now
To discuss your application, please contact:
Wenona Byrne, Arts Practice Director - Literature, +61292159031, W.Byrne@australiacouncil.gov.au
Joanne Simpson, Grants Officer, +61292159057, J.Simpson@australiacouncil.gov.au