International Curators Program x Photo 2021
Photo caption: Hoda Afshar, Agonistes (still), 2020, 1-channel digital video, colour, sound © the artist. Courtesy the artist and Milani Gallery
The Australia Council for the Arts is pleased to announce the international curators participating in the International Curators Program x PHOTO 2021 International Festival of Photography.
The Australia Council’s International Curators Program showcases art and artists here in Australia to international tastemakers.
The aims of the program are to raise the profile of Australia’s contemporary artists and curatorial expertise, demonstrate Australia’s growing regional engagement, and develop long-term relationships which will enable new partnerships, collaborations and market development.
Influential curators from around the globe are invited to experience a series of major Australian contemporary art exhibitions, and join a busy parallel program of studio and gallery visits, talks, performances, artist meetings and industry networking events.
In 2021, the International Curators Program will be held virtually for the first time, in partnership with the inaugural PHOTO International Festival of Photography, Melbourne.
Australia Council’s Head of Visual Arts, Mikala Tai said Australian artists work without borders.
“This current pause in international travel should not be a barrier to artists establishing new and valuable international curatorial connections. The Australia Council is proud to partner with PHOTO 2021 to create space for international exchange, facilitating industry conversations and experimental networking. Innovative international collaboration in arts & culture is essential to maintaining Australia’s international reputation at a time of significant global uncertainty,” Tai said.
International Curators Program x PHOTO 2021 International Festival of Photography
18 February - 7 March 2021
- Mariama ATTAH, Curator, Open Eye Gallery / LOOK Biennial, Liverpool
- BI Xin, Executive Director, Chronus Art Center, Shanghai
- Christine BARTHE, Senior Curator, Head of the photographic collection, musee du quai Branly-Jacques Chirac, Paris
- FEI Jun, Professor, Art+Technology Program, School of Design, Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
- Varun GUPTA, Co-Founder & Biennale Director, Chennai Photo Biennale, Chennai
- Alona PARDO, Curator, Barbican Art Gallery, London
- Mark SEALY, Director, Autograph ABP, London
- YAMADA Yuri, Curator, Tokyo Photographic Art Museum, Tokyo.
For more information on the International Curators Program, please contact:
Joanna Bayndrian, International Market Adviser
Ph: +61 2 9215 9152
The International Curators Program is delivered in partnership with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).