Volunteer Exhibition Attendants, Venice Biennale 2019
Applications have closed.
Applications open: 3 October 2018
Applications close: 5pm AEST 31 October 2018
Date: Four-week periods between 5 May 2019 and 25 November 2019
Notification: December 2018
Volunteer Exhibition Attendants
Volunteer Exhibition Attendants support the Exhibition Team Leader in the daily operations of the exhibition and pavilion during the Venice Biennale 2019.
Volunteer Exhibition Attendants will gain valuable experience and develop skills in gallery invigilation, education, and administration. They will also have the opportunity to contribute to the Australia Council’s Venice Biennale social media and communications and to connect with an international art audience.
Each Volunteer Exhibition Attendant position is for a rostered period of four weeks over the length of the exhibition (5 May - 25 November 2019). Each successful applicant will be expected to take part in an induction prior to departure.
How to apply
Applications are to be made using our online form, where you will be asked to respond to the following selection criteria in 250 words or less for each response.
Download a full position description and selection criteria here.
You are also required to provide:
- A cover letter
- A current resume (2 page maximum)
- Up to two written references
Please also indicate in your cover letter if you have any of the following:
- Fluency in other languages; Italian is highly desirable
- Tertiary qualifications in Visual Arts, Art History, Art Theory or Arts Administration
- If you are unable to take part in this program at any time between May 2019 and November 2019
To be eligible for this role you must:
- Be able to organise travel to Venice and arrive on the designated date
- Be available for a phone/Skype interview in November 2018 and a phone/Skype induction in March 2019
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Adhere to the general Australia Council eligibility requirements as published on our website
The Australia Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, diverse cultural and regional communities and people with a disability. Please contact the project team for further information.
You will be provided with:
The Australia Council will provide the following support for participants:
- $2,500 for a return economy class airfare from your capital city to Venice. Please indicate in your application if you are travelling from regional/remote areas as additional travel and accommodation costs may be covered
- A daily per diem of AUD $70 to cover expenses and some local transport costs
- Accommodation in a shared apartment (private room)
You will need to arrange and pay for:
- Travel insurance (you will need to provide proof of cover)
- Any additional costs in excess of the daily per diem provided
Additional support for participants who work in a freelance capacity or in independent practice may be available upon application thanks to the generosity of Anthony and Clare Cross.
Applications close at 5pm AEDST on 31 October 2018. Assessment and notifications will take place in November/December 2018.
To discuss your application, please contact Amber McCulloch Project and Communications Officer on (02) 9215 9336 or firstname.lastname@example.org